Most members of the team
Each team member crafts their own
An anchor to remind the subject that they are dreaming
|Behind the Scenes|
Totems in Inception
- Dom Cobb's totem is a spinning tractricoid top that originally belonged to Mal. Should he spin the top and it topples over, he is awake; if it continues to spin, then he is still dreaming.
- Ariadne's totem is a slightly hollowed-out golden bishop chess piece. She deliberately hollows it out to alter its weight and center of gravity, so that only she can know the exact weight and feel of her totem.
- Arthur's totem is a weighted red die. The purpose of the loaded die is to make one side heavier than the rest; therefore when rolled the heavy side will flip down and only the opposite side can face up. Should the upright side of the die be different than the original, he will know he is dreaming.
- Eames' totem is a red casino poker chip. The use of the poker chip is not entirely clear in the movie; however, it is thought that the chip will multiply in a dream when he rubs his fingers against it.
- Although Saito does not have a pre-prepared totem, as he is not an extractor, the carpet in his study acts as one in The Saito Extraction Job.